Sunday, February 24, 2008

Administrator password in windows 2008 Server

I downloaded the ISO of windows 2008 Server and burnt the CD. I tried to install it on my Intel Quad Core CPU based system. The installation was a monotonous job, as I did not encounter any problem or configuration issue.

After successful installation, the system rebooted and it reach to a stage where it asked me to enter a Administrator password for fist time login. Here I selected my old windows 2000 server password as I don’t want to remember any more new password. As I really don’t need that kind of stringent security as Microsoft expect from me, I thought old password would worked for me. Here only Windows 2008 showed its true color. I got the message.
The message indicated: Passwords must meet complexity requirements

I tried various combinations but in vain. None of the password worked for me.
I read the help document on Microsoft website. It says password must have
English uppercase characters (A through Z)
• English lowercase characters (a through z)
• Numerals (0 through 9)
• Non-alphabetic characters (such as !, $, #, %)

The password must contain one CAPITAL letter, one number and one small letter or non-alphabetic r. So my password, which was earlier alphanumeric as “safe2092”, couldn’t work. I just changed it to “Safe2092” and it starts working.
Bottom line: Just use one CAPITAL letter in your old alphanumeric password that’s all to satisfy the complexity requirement of windows 2008.

No comments: